The Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences has banned Will Smith from attending the Oscars for the next 10 years, in consequence of his slapping comedian Chris Rock on stage during this year’s ceremony.
“The Board has decided, for a period of 10 years from April 8, 2022, Mr. Smith shall not be permitted to attend any Academy events or programs, in person or virtually, including but not limited to the Academy Awards,” Academy President David Rubin and CEO Dawn Hudson said in a statement on Friday.
Smith issued a succinct statement on his decade-long ban: “I accept and respect the Academy’s decision.” Rock has not yet commented on the announcement.
The Academy’s letter continued, “The 94th Oscars were meant to be a celebration of the many individuals in our community who did incredible work this past year; however, those moments were overshadowed by the unacceptable and harmful behavior we saw Mr. Smith exhibit on stage.”
“During our telecast, we did not adequately address the situation in the room,” the statement read. “For this, we are sorry. This was an opportunity for us to set an example for our guests, viewers and our Academy family around the world, and we fell short — unprepared for the unprecedented.”
The decision was made during a Board of Governors meeting that took place earlier on Friday in Los Angeles. The meeting, which was originally scheduled on April 18, was moved forward following Smith’s decision to resign from the Academy.
“I am resigning from membership in the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, and will accept any further consequences the Board deems appropriate,” the actor said in a statement last week. “Change takes time and I am committed to doing the work to ensure that I never again allow violence to overtake reason.”
Smith’s resignation means that he will no longer be a member of the Academy’s voting body; however, he is still eligible to be nominated for future awards.